Sunday, March 1, 2009

After Life

The whole concept of After Life is really interesting. I thought it was cool how used a seemingly "real world" setting to present the after life as opposed to trying to make it seem heavenly or something of the sort.
I most liked the character who decided not to choose a memory; I think he said something along the lines of "creating a future would be more meaningful than living in the past." This made me question the whole memory re-creation process. For one, I don't think that any of the memories could be accurate because our memories get so skewed and idealized over time. I think about how two people can argue over something that happened years ago because they both believe that it happened their way and the others. Even if the memories could be recreated perfectly, the memories still wouldn't match the moment.
I also think that I wouldn't want to live in a single memory, even if it was a great one. It may be a happy moment, but it seems like being trapped in a cage that you can't leave.

Another character that I was really drawn to was the man ( I believe his name was Wanatabe) who had a difficult time choosing his memory. He says he had many great memories "of course," but couldn't remember any. I felt sorry for him because he said his life hadn't gone as planned. In the videos when he was younger, he was so enthusiastic to leave evidence of his life and not lead a so-so life, but a so-so life is exactly what he led.

Overall, I thought the movie was good. There were elements that I didn't quite agree with, but that isn't a reason for me not to like the movie, it's just another perspective to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment