Sunday, February 22, 2009

20 lions

The project was really interesting. It definitely made me pay attention to a lot of things that I probably wouldn't have on another piece of art. Because we were so restrained in our tools, every little detail that might be ignored in a larger-scale artwork took on a huge role in the line's "meaning." I tried to give each of my lines a distinctive personality; some were shy, others were loud and obnoxious, and others were excited. The first few lines I drew did not really have these personalities, but rather were drawn to look cool. As I drew more, I realized that my lines all looked kind of the same and had no meaning to them. So I started over and attempted to give each one a life of it's own. It was fairly easy at first, but as I continued, it became more difficult to make each one different.

The 20 lines changed my perspective on detail and meaning, and I think that it will help me pay more attention to these things in the future. Seeing others' projects was also really interesting. I think the most interesting were the ones who took the project in a completely different direction than I did yet still put meaning into the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment