Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Art 21

Sally Mann- I like her use of "ambiguity in art." When a work is less straightforward, that presents an opportunity for the viewer (and the artist, too) to spend more time with the piece and to gain a stronger connection with it. She says that art sometimes doesn't need some profound meaning; I agree with this.

Mel Chin- "Art in the 21st century is the same as it's always been; it is never the same." This is a very interesting, and also very true statement. Art is always evolving, and if it wasn't then we would surely lose interest in it. I like his art of "restoration."

James Turrell- His works with light are fascinating to me. He says that we use light, but often don't think of just light. I would love to go into the light hallway that he constructed, it seems like it would be an amazing thing to see. His level of investment in his work is astounding, costing him 2 marriages and a relationship; not many people have that sort of dedication to anything, but it must be so rewarding for him. I feel as if becoming part of the art makes the experience stronger.

Gabriel Orozco- He says that he doesn't use a studio because a studio is isolated, like a bubble which separates you from reality. This is an interesting point, and I admire how dedicated he is to keeping with reality and becoming intimate with his work. I thought that all of his work that was shown in the video was incredible and I really like the perspective he has on his pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment